Breast Reconstruction Awareness Day
Breast Reconstruction Awareness Day is dedicated to educating, encouraging and empowering women to make the decision that is best for them following a diagnosis with breast cancer.
The first Breast Reconstruction Awareness Day USA was held in 2012 and has now evolved into more than 30 countries participating. This special day is a collaborative effort between the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, The Plastic Surgery Foundation, plastic surgeons, breast centers, nurse navigators, corporate sponsors and breast cancer support groups.
On the third Wednesday of every October, efforts are made by these organizations, breast cancer patients and their supporters by coordinating events that include gala fundraisers, question and answer sessions, lectures, flash mobs, advertising campaigns and community events.
The fourth annual Breast Reconstruction Awareness Day USA will take place on October 21, 2015.
There is no fee to participate and ASPS has a free Event Starter Guide to help you plan your Breast Reconstruction Awareness Day activities.
If you are hosting a fundraiser, you will also receive a free Marketing & PR toolkit to assist in marketing your event. The Marketing & PR toolkit includes:
- Messaging, Facts & Figures
- Press Release Template
- PDF Flyer to distribute throughout your community *NEW*
- Local Government Proclamation Template
- Patient Letter Template
- Social Media Messaging Examples *MORE INCLUDED*
- And More!
Complete and submit your Breast Reconstruction Awareness Day affiliate form to get started!
For questions or more information, please contact email@example.com.
What is an Affiliate?
As a Breast Reconstruction Awareness Day Affiliate you are an advocate for women's health and serve as an educator about breast reconstruction options and insurance coverage for this procedure.
Many women who have undergone mastectomy are not aware of the options available to them, and affiliates help to create better and wider global understanding of post-mastectomy choices and resources.
Joining the movement demonstrates an interest in and desire to educate others about breast reconstruction and women's health.
Breast Reconstruction Awareness Day supporters help shed light on the role that plastic surgeons play in performing breast reconstruction.
2015 Event Ideas
Examples of past Breast Reconstruction Awareness Day events include:
- Art Contest & Raffle: Ask breast cancer survivors to design a bra and auction them off.
- Educational Seminar/Reception: Organize a presentation by plastic surgeons, breast surgeons, nurse specialists and other medical professionals on topics such as breast reconstruction options, timing for surgery, latest advances, etc. Follow the presentation with a reception where patients and medical professionals can network.
- Flash Mob: Draw further attention to this cause by organizing a group to sing, dance or parade in a public place. Ask participants to dress in similiar colors, costumes, etc.
- Gala Event: Host a fundraiser to support the Breast Reconstruction Awareness Fund a local charity. Invite medical professionals on the breast cancer team, including plastic surgeons, to talk about the importance and role of each team member.
- Q&A Panel: Invite the breast cancer care team and breast reconstruction patients to participate in a discussion where members of the community can freely ask questions about breast reconstruction.
- Organize a Run/Bike/Walk: Invite breast cancer patients, survivors and supporters to connect. Include educational material in gift bags and invite a speaker to give a short speech before/after the run, bike ride or walk.
- "Show and Tell" Intimate Event: Invite breast reconstruction patients to share their results with other women considering breast reconstruction. A recent ASPS survery showed that 89% of women would want to SEE what breast reconstruction results look like before making a treatment decision.
For more information about becoming a Breast Reconstruction Awareness Day Affiliate please contact: